“Now why would you put makeup on God’s words?”
My beautiful and wonderful mama said this to me one time and it makes me smile every time I re-write something, tweak it or edit it. Here are the steps it takes for me to get a piece of writing published………(that is when I am not in a challenge! In a challenge they are probably cut in half)
1) God whispers His words into my ear…
2) Quick get a pen and paper, I have to write it out manually first it doesn’t feel right otherwise!
3) Say yup I just need five minutes and I’ll (insert action here)
4) Hour or more later……………….. hey we can’t rush a masterpiece! lol
5) Read what I wrote
6) I don’t like……………
8) Read it again…….
9) Hmmmmmm nope still don’t like it!
10) Get out the ominous red pen!
11) Great now I have more red ink than blue
12) Re-write again……………
13) Read again…
14) Okay we’re close now just a few more changes…..
15) Huh……… maybe I’ll just keep this one to myself…… add it to the rest…….. I don’t know why I bother….
16) Can I run this by you?
17) Well, may as well put it in final print before I type it up…( I have a paper copy of all my pieces written with my favorite felt tipped pen)
18) Let’s type it up!
19) Maybe I’ll just change this a little…….
20) Okay well I guess that’s good enough…..
21) Ta Da!
I go through this mind numbing process every time. My mom, being as sweet as she is, tells me that when God puts the words into my mind that it’s those words that count the rest are just filler. She told me that when I finally publish my first book she wants all my original unedited copies first lol She is such an amazing woman and I am so unbelievably blessed to call her my mama!! I love you mama! I am trying to listen to her words when I approach my writing but I may be a little persnickety. Just a little. Her words are very true though it truly is God’s words that count not mine, mine are nothing but filler. I don’t know if there will come a day that I go right to the computer and type it up and post it right away, but we shall see stranger things have happened. There is kind of a romance about it for me. The way a pen feels in your hand and the way it just glides on the paper, hmmm just wonderful! It’s probably one of those e-reader vs paperback things. Or I am old, to which my sister in-law would say yes that’s exactly what it is, and refuse to change lol Who even knows! Blessings of love and fellowship to you, your family and friends on this glorious Easter morning! He has risen!! All glory be to God!